Here is a simple and easy recipe for your traditional ,home made , South Indian Rasam....which is an integral part of a South Indian meal.....
It is easy to prepare and has very good keeping quality too...
It retains it's flavor and taste easily for a period of 3 to 6 months if it is stored well in air tight ,dry containers.
- TOOR DHAL-1/4 CUP
- DRY RED CHILLIES-6 CUPS
- CORIANDER SEEDS (DHANIA)-4-5 CUPS
- PEPPERCORNS-50 GRAMS
- CUMIN SEEDS (JEERA) -50 GRAMS
- ASAFOETIDA POWDER-1 TEASPOON
- Remove the stalks of the chillies
- Dry roast the ingredients (Dhal,pepper,jeera and dhania),one by one.
- When roasting the chillies,add 1/2 a teaspoon of oil (optional)
- Powder them ,one by one,in a mixie.
- The powders can be slightly coarse.
- Mix them well.
- Add the asafoetida powder. Mix well.
- Store in dry,airtight containers.
- Always use a dry spoon.