Here is a tangy,spicy,healthy and flavorful kuzhambu /curry...made with Garlic as a main ingredient...
This is best mixed with hot rice and eaten along with hot vegetable stir fries and crunchy fried Appalam/pappad.
This kuzhambu is a great accompaniment for breakfast dishes like idlis,dosas,kal dosas upma etc.
- PEELED GARLIC PODS -1 CUP
- TAMARIND -1 INCH BALL
- MUSTARD SEEDS -1/2 TEASPOON
- URAD DHAL -1/2 TEASPOON
- DRY RED CHILLIES-3
- DHANIA POWDER -1/2 TEASPOON
- SAMBAR POWDER-1 TEASPOON
- TURMERIC POWDER-1/4 TEASPOON
- CURRY LEAVES-A FEW
- SESAME OIL-2 TABLESPOONS
- SALT TO TASTE
- ASAFOETIDA POWDER- 1/4 TEASPOON
- Peel the garlic pods.
- Soak the tamarind in a cup of hot water and extract the pulp.
- Heat the oil in a pan/kadai.
- Splutter the mustard seeds.
- Add the red chillies,urad dhal fry till the dhal is golden in color.
- Now add the curry leaves and garlic and fry in low heat till the garlic is slightly done.
- Now add the dhania powder,turmeric and salt to taste. Cook for a minute.
- Then add the tamarind puree and boil well .Add the sambar powder and cook till the raw smell of the tamarind and sambar powder goes away and the garlic pods are well cooked.
- Add the asafoetida powder/hing and remove from heat.
Serve hot with hot rice and vegetables or as a side dish to idlis,dosas etc.