Who will not fall for Lord Ganesha's sweet temptation......these delicately,shaped ,juicy sweet MODAKAM / Kozhukattais....
No Ganesha Puja is complete without these offerings and I know of folks -young and old -who wait year long for these delicious treats made specially on Ganesha Chathurthi day....
Let us see what all are needed and how we made these delicious dumplings.....
FOR THE SWEET POORNAM(FILLING)
- GRATED COCONUT-2 CUPS
- POWDERED JAGGERY-2 CUPS
- POWDERED ELAICHI-1/4 TEASPOON
- GHEE-1 TEASPOON
FOR THE OUTER COVERING /KOZHUKKATAI
- RICE FLOUR-1 CUP
- SALT -A BROAD PINCH
- WATER-1 3/4 CUPS
- OIL-1 TEASPOON
TO PREPARE THE POORNAM(FILLING)
- Boil the jaggery in half a cup of water and make thin syrup.
- Add the grated coconut to the syrup.Stir well and cook continuously till the water eveporates and you get a shiny brownish mass.
- Add the powdered elaichi .Mix well.Remove from heat.
- The filling/poornam is now ready.
FOR THE OUTER CASING OF THE MADAKAM/KOZHUKKATAI
- Heat the oil with a teaspoon of oil in a heavy pan.
- Add the oil a a pinch of salt.
- Reduce the heat.
- Add the flour little by little stirring continuously without any lumps.
- Now, cook over medium heat till it forms a soft lump.
- Remove from heat. Knead well.
- Now,take a lime sized ball of the rice flour in well oiled hands.
- Pat it in your palm to make a cup .
- Place a ball of the sweet coconut poornam in this cup and cover it with the dough making it shaped like a modakam.
- Care should be taken to see that the outer casings are not too thick or too thin.
- Use up all the flour and coconut filling in this way.
- Steam these modakams in your steamer or arrange them in your idli plates and steam them for 10 -12 minutes till they get a sheen on the outsides and are well cooked.