Here is one of my favorite recipes straight out my Grandmother's recipe file....
It is the all time favorite Maangai pachidi....As kids this used to be one of our lunchtime favorites and we treated it as a main course rather than a side dish/accompaniment.
Still ,this dish brings loads of happy childhood memories ,especially summer time memories ,along with its unique taste.
Usually ,raw mangoes on the verge of ripening are used to prepare this dish.
The easily available KILI MOOKU MAANGAI is best suited for this dish.
This is an authentic TamBrahm dish and is not available in restaurants.
- MANGO- 1 CUP(Peeled and cubed)
- TAMARIND -1 CM sized ball
- TURMERIC POWDER-1/4 TEASPOON
- SLIT GREEN CHILLIES-3
- CURRY LEAVES-FEW
- MUSTARD SEEDS-1/2 TEASPOON
- JAGGERY- 2 -3 TEASPOONS
- ASAFOETIDA- A PINCH
- OIL-2 TEASPOONS
- SALT TO TASTE
- Peel and cube the mango into 1 inch pieces.
- Remove the pulp of the tamarind by soaking it in a glass of warm water.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Splutter the mustard ,green chillies and curry leaves.
- Add the mango cubes.
- Saute for a minute.
- Add the tamarind extract,salt and jaggery .
- Bring to boil.Cook till the raw smell of tamarind goes away and the mango cubes are slightly soft and it gets a sheen.
- Add a little water if needed.
- Add the asafoetida powder and remove from heat.
- Serve hot with rice,Kootu/Poricha kuzhambu,Appalam etc.