You may eat a hundred and one dishes...
but here is a wholesome comfort food
for the South Indian soul....
Piping hot sambar with hot ,steamed rice
and a dollop of ghee served with crisp appalam
and a liberal helping of vegetable poriyal/curry....
There are different kinds of sambars - to start with ,
I am sharing the recipe of a simple to prepare,
no-fuss vendakkai sambar(ladies finger sambar)
- LADIES FINGER- 8
- ONION-1 (chopped)-optional
- TAMARIND - 1 INCH BALL
- SAMBAR POWDER -1 1/2 TEASPOON
- TURMERIC POWDER-1/4 TEASPOON
- TOOR DHAL-1/2 CUP (pressure cooked)
- OIL-1 TABLESPOON
- ASAFOETIDA POWDER-1/4 TEAASPOON
- MUSTARD SEEDS-1/4 TEASPOON
- URAD DAL-1/4 TEASPOON
- FENUGREEK SEEDS-1/4 TEASPOON
- SALT TO TASTE
- CURRY LEAVES AND CORIANDER LEAVES-FEW
- Pressure cook the dhal and mash it well.
- Chop ladies finger into 1 1/2 inch bits.
- Soak the tamarind in 3 cups of warm water .
- Extract the puree.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of oil.
- Sautee the chopped onions and ladies finger for a minute.
- Add the tamarind puree and turmeric powder.Boil well till the raw smell of the tamarind goes away.
- Now add the sambar powder and salt and boil well till the ladies fingers are cooked and the raw smell of the sambar powder leaves.
- Now add the mashed dhal and enough water. Simmer for a few minutes.
- Add the asafoetida powder .
- Heat the remaining oil and splutter the mustard seeds,fenugreek seeds and urad dhal.
- Add to the hot sambar.
- Garnish with curry leaves and coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with steamed rice ,idlis,dosas etc.