Here is the ultimate dessert-A fitting finale for a rich Southern spread...The thick,creamy,light pinkish paal payasam...a rich kheer made with full cream milk in which rice is cooked...
No South Indian feast is complete without the thick ,creamy sweet paal payasam.And it is the favoured neivadyam(offering) to God Almighty in many a pujas...
- FULL CREAM MILK-2 LITERS
- SUGAR-2 1/2 CUPS
- RAW RICE/BASMATI RICE-2-3 TABLESPOONS
- POWDERED ELAICHI-1/2 TEASPOON
- CASHEW NUTS FRIED IN GHEE-10 -12
- CONDENSED MILK- 2 TABLESPOON(OPTIONAL)
- Soak the rice for half an hour.
- Bring the milk to a boil in a heavy bottomed vessel.(You can use a pressure cooker too)
- Add the rice to the milk and cook continuously .
- Stir frequently.
- If you are using a cooker,then add the milk and rice to the cooker directly and pressure cook till one whistle in high heat and for 15 -20 minutes over a low flame.
- Once the rice is well cooked,mash slightly and simmer further till the volume of the milk is reduced to almost half of it's original quantity and it acquires a pinkish tint.
- You can add the condensed milk now, if you wish.
- Now ,add the sugar and elaichi powder.Remove from heat.Stir well till the sugar dissolves.
- Garnish with fried cashew nuts.
- Serve hot or chilled.