Here is a tasty,protien-rich kuzhambu -a slight variation of your regular sambar....
It is easy to prepare and very tasty traditional South Indian dish...it can be prepared when you are bored of your regular vegetable sambars and kootus...and it is an instant hit too!
This dish is usually made in South Indian homes and is not usually made in restaurants...
FOR THE KUZHAMBU
- TAMARIND-SMALL LIME SIZED BALL
- TURMERIC POWDER-1/4 TEASPOON
- SAMBAR POWDER-1 -1 1/2 TEASPOON
- OIL-2 TEASPOONS
- MUSTARD SEEDS-1/2 TEASPOON
- URAD DHAL-1/2 TEASPOON
- CHANNA DHAL-1/4 TEASPOON
- METHI SEEDS-1/4 TEASPOON
- ASAFOETIDA POWDER-2-3 PINCHES
- SALT TO TASTE
- CURRY LEAVES -FEW
FOR THE PARUPPU URUNDAI
- TOOR DHAL-1 CUP
- CHANNA DHAL-1 TEASPOON
- GRATED COCONUT-2 TEASPOONS
- RED CHILLIES-4-5
- RICE FLOUR-1/4 CUP
- SALT TO TASTE
- CHOPPED ONIONS(OPTIONAL)-1 TABLESPOON
TO PREPARE THE PARUPPU URUNDAIS (LENTIL BALLS)...
- Soak the dhals in water for 1/2 -1 hour.
- Grind coarsely in a mixie along with red chillies.
- Add the salt to taste,rice flour,coconut and onions(optional).
- Mix well.
- Make 1 " balls and steam them in an idli plate for a few minutes.Keep aside.
TO PREPARE THE KUZHAMBU...
- Soak the tamarind in warm water and extract the puree.
- Heat oil in a kadai.
- Splutter the mustard seeds,urad and channa dhals,methi seeds and curry leaves.
- Add the tamarind puree with enough water.Bring to a boil.
- Add sambar powder,turmeric powder and salt.Boil well till the raw smell goes away.
- Now add the steamed urundais.Simmer for a few minutes without stirring.(stirring breaks them)
- Season with asafoetida powder .
- Serve hot with plain rice,ghee and fried appalams.