Here is one of my favorite comfort foods....
And mind you...it is one of the easiest and tastiest dishes that I ever make...
- RIDGEGOURD -2 MEDIUM SIZED ONES
- GRATED COCONUT- 1/2 A COCONUT
- TAMARIND -A MARBLE SIZED BALL
- URAD DHAL-3 TEASPOONS
- DRY RED CHILLY-3-5
- OIL-2 -5 TEASPOONS
- ASAFOETIDA POWDER-FEW PINCHES
- MUSTARD SEEDS-FEW
- CURRY LEAVES -FEW
- SALT TO TASTE
- Peel the skin of the ridge gourd and cut them into small slices /pieces.
- Grate the coconut.
- Heat a little oil in a pan.
- Fry the ridge gourd for a few minutes or till it turns slightly mushy.Keep aside.Cool.
- Now, Puree it in a mixie without adding any water.
- Heat some more oil in a pan.Fry the red chillies and urad dhal.
- Fry till the dhal is golden in color.(not too reddish)
- Add the fried mixture,coconut,tamarind and salt to the ground ridge gourd.
- Grind them to a coarse paste in a mixie.
- Now heat a little oil in a pan.Splutter the mustard seeds,asafoetida and curry leaves and add them to the ground mixture.
- This thuvayal is great when you mix it with hot rige and a teaspoon of melted ghee and eaten with fried appalam /vadam etc.