Here is an easy to prepare side dish for your good old idli/dosas...
It is indeed a sellout when you are bored of chutneys and sambar and podis.
You need minimum ingredients and very little effort too...
- GARLIC -FEW PODS
- GREEN CHILLY - 3
- TAMARIND PUREE -1/4 Tsp
- GRATED COCONUT-1/4 Cup
- FENUGREEK SEEDS- A pinch
- MUSTARD-1/4 Tsp
- CUMINSEEDS1/4 Tsp
- SAMBAR POWDER-1Tsp
- PRESSURE COOKED TOOR DAL -1/2 cup
- COCONUT OIL-2
- SALT TO TASTE
- CURRY LEAVES -FEW
- Chop onions and tomatoes into small pieces.Crush the garlic pods.
- Grind the coconut and chillies with a little water to a smooth paste.
- Heat the oil.
- Temper the mustard,cumin seeds and fenugreek seeds.
- Add the chopped onions and crushed garlic and saute well.
- Add the sambar powder and salt to taste.
- Now add the tomatoes and tamarind puree and cook till the tomatoes turn soft and mushy.Add enough water and boil well.
- Now add the mashed dal and ground coconut paste and bring to a boil.
- Add the curry leaves and remove from heat.
- Serve hot with any South Indian breakfast.