Sevai is an all time favorite South Indian dish....
Known as "Sevai" in Tambram homes,it is called "Sandhagai" in Coimbatore region...and "Shavige " in Karnataka....
Though it looks like Idiyappam, there are a lot of subtle nuances in the ingredients the in the process that makes it totally different from Idiyappam ...I will elaborate on the differences later....
Since making Sevai is a rather laborious process,
the instant sevai is a boon for those who want to make this dish in a jiffy...and I have to accept that the original is unsurpassable we humbly accept the instant one too as an alternative...
- MTR INSTANT SEVAI ( I PACKET)
FOR THE SEASONING
- GRATED COCONUT - 2-3 CUPS
- GREEN CHILLIES - 5-7
- MUSTARD SEEDS -1/2 TEASPOON
- URAD DHAL- 1 TEASPOON
- CASHEW NUTS - 1 TABLESPOON
- ASAFOETIDA POWDER - A PINCH
- OIL -1/2 CUP
- SALT TO TASTE
- CURRY LEAVES FOR GARNISHING
- Prepare the plain instant sevai as per the instructions in the packet.(The standard instructions for MTR sevai is to boil a liter or more of water and steep the sevai in the boiling water.Bring it to a simmer.Cook for 4 -5 minutes. Remove from heat. Drain. Spread on a large plate so it does not clump together.)
- To prepare the seasoning....
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Splutter the mutard seeds,urad dhal and chillies. Add the cashew nuts and fry till golden brown.
- Now add the grated coconut and salt to taste. fry the the coconut is slightly done or it starts to change color and give out a good coconut oil smell.
- Now add the salt.and asafoetida powder.
- Add the curry leaves as a garnish.
- Now add this seasoning to the cooked sevai. and mix well.
- Serve with chutney ,sambar or more kuzhambu.
Sevai is a meal in a dish and can be had for breakfast,dinner or evening tiffin too...