TO PREPARE THE BATTER...
- PARBOILED RICE-2 CUPS
- URAD DHAL-1/4 CUP
- SALT TO TASTE
- WATER AS NEEDED
- Soak the rice and urad dhal in seperate containers with enough water. Soak the fenugreek seeds along with the urad dhal.
- Let them soak for 4-5 hours .
- Drain and wash them well with lots of water.
- Now add the drained urad dhal and fenugreek to a grinder and grind well adding little water at a time.(Some add a lot of water at one go and switch on the grinder and let in run for a long time-that does not give the desired result)
- As the grinding goes on,you get a smooth, light and fluffy batter.
- Take a little blob of this batter and drop it in a bowl of water. If the batter floats as a ball,then you can be sure that the urad dhal is well ground.
- Now remove this batter from the grinder and transfer it to a large vessel.
- Next ,add the drained and cleaned soaked rice to the grinder and grind well with enough water.
- Let the rice be very slightly grainy in texture when ground.(too smooth batter spoils the lightness and softness)
- Now mix both the ground batters and add salt to taste.
- Ferment well for 6-8 hours(depending on the weather- in hot Indian summer months,you need just 5-6 hours for the batter to ferment and rise while colder days need longer hours ,Sometimes even a day)
- When the batter has risen well, mix slightly.
- Leaving it in the fridge helps you make soft idlis for a few days but storing them outside the fridge lets the batter turn sour...but the sour batter is great for dosas,utthappams,kara appams/paniyarams etc.
- So,once you master the batter making,you can use your creativity and turn out a number of breakfast and dinner recipes...
- DOSA/IDLI BATTER-4 CUPS
- OIL /GHEE -AS NEEDED
- POTATO MASALA-3 CUPS
RECIPE FOR POTATO MASALA
- Mix the batter well.Add little water ,if need be,to reach a pouring consistency.
- Spread the batter on a hot tawa.
- Drizzle some oil /ghee as per your taste.
- When one side is cooked,flip over to the other side and cook till done.
- Turn the done dosa.
- Spread some potato masala on the dosa.
- Fold. Remove from the pan.
- Serve hot with sambar and chutney.