Here is a traditional payasam /kheer which is prepared usually in all South Indian homes during festivals or auspicious days....
It is the all time favorite Kadalai Paruppu payasam /channa dhal kheer. In Kerala ,it is known as the Parippu Pradhaman....
- CHANNA DHAL -1/2 CUP
- JAGGERY -3/4 CUP
- COCONUT MILK -1 CUP
- CHOPPED COCONUT BITS -1 TEASPOON
- POWDERED CARDAMON -1/4 TEASPOON
- GHEE-1 TABLESPOON
- Roast the channa dhal in a hot pan.
- Pressure cook with enough water till it is done but not too mushy.(5 whistles)
- Soak the powdered jaggery in hot water and dissolve it. Strain away the impurities .Boil for a few minutes.
- Heat the ghee and fry the cashewnuts .Drain. Keep them aside.
- Now fry the coconut bits in the ghee.Drain. Keep aside.
- Mash the cooked dhal slightly.Add to the sugar syrup with the water in which it is cooked.
- Bring to a boil.Add a little water or milk if it is too thick.
- Now ,add the cardamom powder and the coconut milk.
- Simmer for minute.
- Add the fried coconut bits and cashew nuts as a garnish.
- Serve hot or cold .