Here is a simple, tasty and nutritious Poosanikkai Kootu...A regular in any festive lunch ...I make it a point to prepare this as a regular dish in my kitchen...as my family finds this dish wholesome ,filling and tasty....It is great to be had along with sambar or rasam and rice...
- ASHGOURD CUBES-4 CUPS
- CHANNA DHAL -1 CUP
- GRATED COCONUT-1 1/2 CUPS
- GREEN CHILLIES -4-5
- CUMIN SEEDS -1/4 TEASPOON
- TURMERIC POWDER -1/4 TEASPOON
- COCONUT OIL-1 TEASPOON
- MUSTARD SEEDS -1/4 TEASPOON
- URAD DHAL -1/4 TEASPOON
- DRY RED CHILLY-2
- CURRY LEAVES -FEW
- SALT TO TASTE
- Pressure cook the channa dhal till done but not mushy.
- Pressure cook the ash gourd cubes till done.
- Grind together the coconut,cumin seeds and green chillies to a coarse paste with just enough water.
- Add the coconut paste and cooked dhal to the cooked vegetable.
- Add enough salt and turmeric.
- Bring to a boil. and simmer for a few minutes.
- Heat the coconut oil.Splutter the mustard seeds,urad dhal and red chillies .
- Add to the cooked kootu immediately.
- Garnish with curry leaves.
- Serve hot along with any South Indian meal.