Pulikaaichal or Tamarind Rice Mix is an real lifesaver in any South Indian kitchen....
It is a hot and sour ,spicy and nutty paste which can be mixed with cooked rice...and a tasty meal of Puliyodarai/Puliyugare/Puliansaadam/Tamarind rice is ready!
You can prepare this in advance and store it for a few months in a refrigerator.
- TAMARIND-100 GRAMS
- TURMERIC POWDER-1 TEASPOON
- MUSTARD SEEDS-1 TEASPOON
- URAD DAL-2 TEASPOON
- CHANNA DAL-2 TEASPOON
- FENUGREEK SEEDS-1/4 TEASPOON
- DRY RED CHILLIES-15-20
- GROUNDNUTS-1 CUP(ADD MORE IF YOU WISH)
- CASHEWNUTS-1 CUP
- CURRY LEAVES- FEW SPRIGS
- ASAFOETIDA POWDER- 1/2TEASPOON
- CORIANDER SEEDS(ROASTED AND POWDERED)
- -1 TEASPOON
- GINGELLY OIL-2 CUPS
- SALT TO TASTE (APPROXIMATELY 2 TEASPOONS)
- Add 1 liter of hot water to the tamarind. Soak well. Extract the clean pulp.
- Heat the oil in a heavy pan .
- Splutter the mustard seeds,urad dal and channa dal.
- Fry the groundnuts till done.
- Now fry the cashewnuts till they are golden yellow.
- Fry the red chillies and fenugreek seeds.
- Add the powdered coriander seeds,fry for a few seconds.
- Add the curry leaves and fry for a few seconds.
- Now add the tamarind pulp and boil well.
- Add turmeric and salt to taste. Boil well till it becomes thick and the raw smell goes off and the oil seperates.
- Now add the asafoetida powder.
- Simmer a minute.
- Remove from heat.
- Cool and store in sterile containers.
- Can be refrigerated and used for a few months.
- Mix this paste with freshly cooked rice .
- This paste makes a great accompaniment for curd rice,dosas,idlis upmas etc.
How to make puliyodarai...