- Boiled and mashed potatoes- 2 cups
- Chopped onions-1 cup
- Turmeric powder-little
- Green chillies -3
- Cashew nuts -few
- Green peas - 1 teaspoon (optional)
- Mustard seeds-1/4 teaspoon
- Urad dhal-1/2 teaspoon
- Channa dhal-1/2 teaspoon
- Asafotida powder- a pinch
Salt to taste
Curry leaves and coriander leaves - few
FOR THE COATING BATTER
- Gram flour- 1 cup
- Rice flour -1 tablespoon
- Soda bicarbonate -few pinches
- salt and chilli powder to taste
Oil for frying
- Mix the flours ,salt,chilli powder , and soda bicarbonate well.
- Add water and mix to a fairly thick batter of coating consistency.
- Keep aside.
- Now,heat little oil in a pan.
- Fry the mustard seeds,urad and channa dhals.
- Now add chopped green chillies and chopped onions .fry well.
- Add the mashed potatoes,salt ,asafoetida and turmeric powder.
- Cook well.
- Add broken cashews and boiled peas if desired.
- Add chopped curry leaves and coriander leaves. Mix well.
Remove from heat.
- Make small balls of the potato mixture.
- Heat oil in a frying pan.
- Dip the potato balls in the batter. Fry in hot oil till it is cooked uniformly to a golden brown.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney or mint chutney.