Here is the traditional Puli Inji- a hot and sour sauce made of ginger,green chillies and tamarind...A perfect digestive aid which is an important part of any traditional South Indian lunch/Sadya/Virundhu....
It is a perfect partner to curd rice or Kootu /poricha kuzhambu etc...
- TAMARIND EXTRACT OF 1 "SIZED TAMARIND BALL
- GINGER-2 " PIECE
- GREEN CHILLIES-4-6
- MUSTARD SEEDS-1/2 TEASPOON
- CHANNA DHAL-1 TEASPOON
- JAGGERY - 1 SMALL BIT
- TURMERIC POWDER- LITTLE
- ASAFOETIDA POWDER- FEW PINCHES
- SALT TO TASTE
- OIL-2 TEASPOONS
- CURRY LEAVES-FEW
- Skin the ginger and chop into tiny bits.Chop the chillies into tiny pieces.
- Heat oil in a kadai.
- Splutter the mustard seeds and fry the channa dhal.
- Add the curry leaves,ginger and chilly pieces. Fry well for a minute.
- Add the tamarind extract and a some water.
- Add the salt,turmeric and jaggery.
- Boil well till the mixture thickens to a diluted sauce consistency.
- Add the asafotida powder .
- Remove from heat and serve hot.
- It can be served as a healthy substitute to pickles too.