"Kadappa "is a simple and flavorful side dish made with onions , potatoes ,coconut and spices...
It is a versatile dish and is a perfect ,low fat,accompaniment to idlis, dosas, chappathis ,puris etc.
This dish is a speciality of Thanjavur and Kumbakonam areas...
It is not easily available in regular restaurants but I heard some Messes do serve it.
Any one who tries it for the first time is intrigued by its taste and flavor..
"Is it Korma?" asks someone...
"No it is more like a masala "said another...
"It is a bit like Malabar Stew" commented one...
"No. It is more like Kootu with a dash of masala" declared another....
I say "It is a bit of all"
And all agree but say "It is different and yummy too!"
- POTATO-1/4 KG
- ONION- 3
- OIL -2 TEASPOONS
- SALT TO TASTE
- CURRY LEAVES FOR GARNISHING- FEW
- BAY LEAVES-FEW
- CINNAMON-2 BITS
- GREEN CHILLY-1
- GARLIC- 4-6 CLOVES
- GREEN CHILLIES-2
- ROASTED GRAM-1 TABLESPOON
- GRATED COCONUT-2 TABLESOPPNS
- SAUNF (FENNEL SEEDS)-1/2 to 1 TEASPOON
- Grind together the garlic,coconut,chillies,roasted gram and saunf to a fine paste with enough water.
- Boil ,peel and chop the potatoes.
- Chop the onions.
- Heat a heavy bottomed pan .Add the oil and fry the seasonings.
- Add the chopped chilly,onions and potatoes .
- Cook well for a few minutes .
- Now add the salt to taste.
- Add the ground masala and enough water and boil well.
- Simmer over low heat for a few minutes and remove from heat.
- Garnish with curry leaves .
- Serve hot with hot idlis, dosas ,puris or chappatis.