Though Kerala is the home of Avial, No South Indian feast is
complete without a serving of this delectable and wholesome dish.
As a contains nearly half a dozen vegetables thrown into it
we can confidently say it is one of the most balanced and
nutritious vegetarian dish in Indian cuisine...
- ASH GOURD
- CLUSTER BEANS
- FRENCH BEANS - 1 KG OF ALL THESE
- POTATO VEGETABLES
- SNAKE GOURD
- GRATED COCONUT -2 CUPS
- CURD -2-2 1/2 CUPS
- CUMIN SEEDS -1/2 TEASPOON
- COCONUT OIL -2 TABLESPOONS
- GREEN CHILLIES -4
- CURRY LEAVES - A FEW SPRIGS
- SALT TO TASTE
- Cut all the vegetables into 1 1/2 inch bits,approximately 1/2 an inch thick.
- Microwave all the vegetables with a little water for 10 minutes or pressure cook them till done.
- Grind together the coconut,chillies,cumin seeds and little curd in a mixer.
- Add the ground mixture to the cooked vegetables.
- Add the rest of the beaten curds and salt to taste.
- Bring to a boil .
- Remove from heat.
- Season with curry leaves and pour the coconut oil over the dish and give a light stir.
- Serve with rice,sambar and fried pappadams.
- Avial is a great side dish for Venn Pongal too...