When you are in a mood for some munchies....when the cool weather calls for a crunchy bite with your filter coffee of hot chai...just make a plate full of Ribbon Pakoda in 10 minutes with easily available ingredients...
- RICE FLOUR -1 CUP
- GRAM FLOUR / BESAN -3/4 CUP
- CHILLI POWDER -1 1/2 TEASPOON
- GHEE-2 TEASPOONS
- SODA BICARBONATE -1/4 TEASPOON
- ASAFOETIDA POWDER-4 PINCHES
- WATER FOR MIXING THE DOUGH
- SALT TO TASTE
- OIL FOR DEEP FRYING
- Mix the flours,soda bicarbonate,salt ,asafoetida,ghee and chilli powder well.
- Add enough water to the mixture to make a sticky dough.
- Take a murrukku press .Fix it with ribbon pakoda plate.(the disc with two thin slits)
- Oil it well to avoid messiness at work.
- Heat the oil in a kadai /frying pan.
- Take a ball of the dough and fill the press till three fourths.
- Now press the pakoda directly into the hot oil in a circular motion.
- Let it cook well.(one sign to watch for is the decrease of froth and bubbles in the oil-an indication that it is fried well.)
- Remove from the oil.Drain.
- Store in an airtight container when it is cool.