Dosas are always a delight to a South Indian palate ...
And the crispy ,mildly spiced Rawa Dosa is an all time favorite to one and all...
There is always an element of suspense as to how your Rawa Dosa will turn out when you order one even in the best of restaurants...
Some prefer their rawa dosa absolutely crisp while some like them slightly soft in the center...
My vote is for the crispy, crunchy dosa with a generous helping of chutney....
Unlike the regular dosa which needs the batter to be ground and fermented the previous day itself,Rava Dosa can be prepared by mixing the dry ingredients real fast...
Onion Rawas and ghee rawas are a slight variation from your regular Plain Rawas ....
- RAWA /SOOJI -1 CUP(FINE VARIETY)
- RAW RICE FLOUR -1 CUP
- WHEAT FLOUR -1/2 CUP
- PEPPER CORNS-1 TEASPOON
- CUMINSEEDS-1/2 TEASPOON
- MUSTARD SEEDS-1/4 TEASPOON
- BROKEN CASHENUTS-1 TEASPOON
- CURRY LEAVES-FEW
- CORIANDER LEAVES-FEW
- ASAFOETIDA POWDER -A PINCH
- SALT TO TASTE
- OIL FOR FRYING
- Chop the greens and chillies into fine pieces.
- Mic the rawa,flours and salt well.
- Add enough water and whisk it well to make a batter of thick buttermilk consistency.
- Add the salt to taste.
- Now heat a teaspoon of oil and fry the mustard ,pepper corns and cuminseeds.
- Add to the batter.
- Add the chopped greens,chillies and cashewnuts.
- Mix well.Set aside for 30 minutes before making the rawa dosas.
- Heat a dosa pan.
- Pour a ladle full of the batter in such a way that the batter is not spread out but sprinkled to cover up the pan leaving pores intermittently.
- Drizzle some oil or ghee and roast it well.( Since the batter is watery than your regular dosa batter,it takes time to become crisp).Cooking over medium heat is preferable.
- Flip the dosa to the other side and roast for a minute.
- Repeat the same process till you prepare the required numbers of Rawa Dosas.
- Serve hot with chutneys and/or sambar.
- As a variation ,you can sprinkle some onions to make onion rawa dosas ...
- A sprinkle of grated carrots make colorful and healthy Rawa Dosas.