Here's another comfort food from my Grandmother's kitchen....
Puli Aval is a tasty, nutty,tangy and spicy dish- Rather a meal in a dish which can be prepared with minimal effort and readily available ingredients.....which are really healthy....
- RICE FLAKES(THICK VARIETY) -2 CUPS
- TAMARIND - A LIME SIZED TAMARIND BALL
- PEANUTS-3/4 CUP
- URAD DHAL-1/2 TEASPOON
- CHANNA DHAL-1/2 TEASPOON
- DRY RED CHILLIES-4-6
- TURMERIC POWDER-1/2 TEASPOON
- ASAFOETIDA POWDER-1/4 TEASPOON
- SESAME OIL-3 TEASPOONS
- CURRY LEAVES-FEW
- SALT TO TASTE
- Dry roast the rice flakes/aval/poha in a kadai.
- Crush them roughly.(This can be made and stored in an air tight jar in advance).
- Soak the tamarind in warm water and extract the puree.
- Mix the salt and turmeric powder with the tamarind puree.
- Add the crushed flakes to this puree.mix well.Leave it aside for 30 minutes till the puree is absorbed by the flakes.
- Heat the oil in a kadai.
- Fry the mustard seeds,dhals, peanuts,red chillies and curry leaves.
- Add the soaked rice flakes and stir well.Cook for a few minutes and add the asafoetida powder.Mix well.
- Serve hot .
- This is a regular dish made in many a Tamil Brahmin homes.
- As far as I know ,this tasty dish is not usually available in any famous restaurant in Tamil nadu,I don't know why....