A bowl of delectable, sweet Sakkarai Pongal....
- RAW RICE-1 CUP
- MOONG DHAL-1/2 CUP
- JAGGERY -1 CUP
- MILK-1 CUP
- POWDERED ELAICHI-1/2 TEASPOON
- GHEE-1 CUP
- CASHEWNUTS- 10 to 12
- RAISINS -1 TABLESPOON
- Powder the jaggery. Dissolve in hot water.Strain the impurities .
- Roast the moong dhal slightly.
- Wash and clean the rice.
- Pressure cook the rice and dhal together with 4- 4.5 cups of water till well done.
- Remove from the cooker and mash well.
- Bring the strained jaggery syrup to a boil.
- Now add the mashed ride-dhal mixture to the boiling syrup.
- Mix well.
- Add the milk and cook till it becomes a homogenous mixture.
- Now,add the milk and simmer for a while.
- Heat the ghee.
- Fry the raisins .Add to the pongal.
- Fry the cashew nuts.Add to the pongal.
- Now,add the powdered elaichi and the rest of the ghee.
- Simmer till the ghee is mixed well with the pongal.You can add more ghee to this dish while serving .